Kingairway

NAMING ROADS

Yep. You have to edit the map texture. 

I used photoshop and had reduced the transparency of the letters to... around 60%

Hey blackout im having trouble understanding how to edit the EFT, what did you convert it to first? then im assuming you converted it back?

Also is the EFT what I want to convert I.E add names to roads ? or is it something else?

Thanks, K

You have to have the original map texture, we have them in the downloads section for the original mods... IF it's a custom mod map only the developers will have them if they changed the floor plan... Far as I know once you convert the map to a floor its a one-way trip, the only other thing you could do is place models on the ground that are textured with an alpha that have a road name on it... That would negate needing to alter the original floor map.

You have to have the original map texture, we have them in the downloads section for the original mods... IF it's a custom mod map only the developers will have them if they changed the floor plan... Far as I know once you convert the map to a floor its a one-way trip, the only other thing you could do is place models on the ground that are textured with an alpha that have a road name on it... That would negate needing to alter the original floor map.

This is what I am looking at

freeplay.eft

freeplay.dds

freeplaymap.eft (TGA file)

freeplay.e4m

the .dds is the minimap

which one of these would be the map texture eft? and if so how can you edit it/ what does it need to be converted to?

Sorry if i am sounding like a total dumb @$$.

An alternative for the entire road name thing could be using the logic for (for instance) the open houses.

Model the roadname on a flat, and give it the same properties as the skidmarks. Then locate them on the map how you want, and script them onto a switch that will show/hide them. That way you'll be able to manually decide whether or not you want to see the names of the roads in their physical form, thus giving you both navigation options and realism.

Be sure to think about it, though! They take up far more work and space than a simple texture edit does.

An alternative for the entire road name thing could be using the logic for (for instance) the open houses.

Model the roadname on a flat, and give it the same properties as the skidmarks. Then locate them on the map how you want, and script them onto a switch that will show/hide them. That way you'll be able to manually decide whether or not you want to see the names of the roads in their physical form, thus giving you both navigation options and realism.

Be sure to think about it, though! They take up far more work and space than a simple texture edit does.

I do like that idea, I looking into doing it like skidmarks... But no .v3o FILE for skidmarks!!! even though the prototype links to one being in objects/debris/skidmarks.. there is no such folder that i can see

There are files for the skidmarks, but in individual mod folders. They are in the games data folder.

Open the program files for the game, instead of opening the mods folder, open the data folder. Then go to models -> objects -> debris and in that folder there are some files for the skidmarks.

Just keep it as a .tga file. Then go to the Terrain Editor and go to the Floor drop down menu. Click Import texture and select the .tga file.

The .tga file MUST HAVE NO TRANSPARENT AREAS. It must also follow these criteria. (Taken from EM4 manual)

The following conventions must be complied with to be able to import a user-defined floor texture that is created ideally with the help of an image-processing program in the Editor:
• The dimensions of the created texture must be in multiples of 512 Pixel in width and height
• The texture must be in a non-compressed TGA-Format (24Bit)
• The texture may not be larger than 8192 x 8192 Pixel
• Benchmark: One meter equals 12.5 Pixel. The maximum size of a map is thus 655.36 sq m.

it's really not complicated at all. A premade texture should already meet the specifications.

Download the texture...do your thing...don't resize the image...and export as a 24-bit TGA. No special naming is needed.

It should import just fine.