Chris07

LA Mod Crane

Anyone aware of multiplayer compatibility of the LA Mod Heavy Rescue Crane?

I was play testing it today (in my own mod using the LA Mod script) and I've had very mixed results. It seems to work fine (viewable by both the guest and game host), but on occasion it will disappear to everyone except for the host, and the picked up object will move in the opposite direction that it's actually going (according to the host). Then once the animation is over the object appears in the proper place to everyone else. Moving the crane bring it back to full visibility.

As a guest player, it likewise works, but on occasion it will disappear when picking up an object and I will lose control of it. The host can still see the crane but does not have control of it either.

Is this a known problem? Any ideas?

The problem seems to be more prevalent when lots of things are going on (multiple cranes picking stuff up, or fighting a fire nearby).

Multiplayer was always unstable to begin with.

It may be a latency issue, especially when a lot of shit is happening the game may experience loss of packages (that are transferred to the guests). However, my theory is that the script contains codes which are not transferred to the guests properly AT ALL. There's a couple of more scripts that do not really seem to work that great in multiplayer, while they may work great in singleplayer. I think the chase script has/had some issues in multiplayer too.

edit, if I recall correctly I always had multiplayer issues with one or more of these codes:

Math::RotateVector(dx, dy, dz, r);Math::EulerToMatrix(0.0f, 0.f, 0.f, childr);Math::MultiplyMatrices(childr, r);
It kinda sucks, because I'm in the dark on this. I do not know WHY certain codes or scripting combinations are likely to cause problems.

It kinda sucks, because I'm in the dark on this. I do not know WHY certain codes or scripting combinations are likely to cause problems.

It's awesome we have a company that is/has published a game that openly support modifications but the Devs cant find a little time to help out.

Well even in the original game there are alotta things that in MP dun work so great, the host has to take control of those items in order to prevent glitching foul ups.  The ladder entering buildings was a great example, unfortunately we gotta work with what we got here =/ You'd figure an older game with modern connections would be fine but it must be something within the way the code is packaged and sent that causes the latency.