999madtom

Your emergency stories

Ok, here is to talk about emergencys that have happend in real life.

Rules

Nothing breaching the patient confidentality (Gary smith, 42 from Glasgow (made up)), no gory discriptions (put it in spoiler), no photos of the patient.

Edited by Newfoundking
That y in stories made my soul cry

Well, i was on the beach when i man got dragged out the water while the Coastguard (With their helicopter), Police, Lifeguards and Ambulance tried to revive him, an Ambulance range rover adapted to carry patients ended up taking him up the hill where the Wyke Regis coastguard took him to hospital.. May have died. Not sure.

Once I was leaving school and a old lady fell on her back. Me and two other friends went to help her and as we approached her she was unconscious . 2 minutes later, a security guard (from my school) arrived and called 112, he asked us what happened and we explained it. 10 minutes later the ambulance arrived and we tried to make some room so that the FD crew could work (there were lots of people around us when they noticed what happened). The lady survived and everything went fine. :)

This was the day in which I decided that I was going to do BLS training, which I hope to do this summer in my local fire station. ^^

When the lady fell over, her head hit the ground (that's why she was unconscious). There was some blood on her head and in the floor and as the security guard arrived, he asked us to wear some latex gloves that he was carrying, after that, our only job was to try to keep the lady awake and keep her stable (besides giving her some space to breathe). More guards arrived later and then they took care of the victim untill the ambulance arrived.

We responded to a family dispute. While we were approaching the scene, unknown male opened fire at us, we fired back, but the suspect was not there anymore. We called for backup, SWAT team and helicopter. But the guy was nor in the street. It was really suspicous, because second car arrived in two minutes, so we thought that the guy will be prolly local inhabitant. He was, we checked the nearest house, every room, every flat and in one of those flats was a guy lying under the bed. We arrested him and found a gun on him. I had to be really lucky that day.. Thanks God propably my only life-threatening incident I've experienced during my tour in TPS. 

When I was 7 I was walking to the end of a road and a moped rider got wiped out by a car (as I was 7 I could not help out) an ambulance car arrived about 5 minutes later then a police car came about ten minutes later and after about 45 minutes later the ambulance arrived

Dispatched to a MVA on the Sea to Sky Highway just past Britannia beach.  Arrived on scene to find Britannia Beach Fire Department on Scene, they don't do highway rescue they were on their way to a community event in Furry Creek, and came across a snow plow which had a vehicle in the plow portion.  Driver walked away with only a scare.  She had tried to pass the plow on the right and got caught in the slush and drove into the plows path without the driver noticing right away.  There is a picture floating around the internet of it some where.

Second

Dispatched to a Structure Fire near my house, upon leaving my residences I didn't see any smoke or flames coming from the place that we were being dispatched too.  Upon arrival to the apartments a gentlemen casually walks up to the Engine and informs us that it was just a pot on the stove but there is a guy on the toilet dead he believes.  We go up the stairs and into the apartment to find it a total mess with.... Adult content on the TV, Computer, and numerous adult content mags laying around the apartment.  The gentlemen was indeed on the toilet nude.... We applied oxygen to him and covered him up so that way we could get him out into the hallway where the air was cleaner.  Needless to say I want home and showered after that call because I felt dirty... very very dirty.

Third

We were having a meeting with our city leaders when the pager when off for a structure fire, we responded to the residence where there was a fire in the attic.  Upon primary search we found a full fledged HO train lay out in one of the rooms.  I am not sure if it survived the water damage or not.

There is more but I have to remember lol.

First:

This didn't turn out to be an incident but pretty close. I was younger, maybe 15 at the time. My Dad and I used to go out of town on fishing trips over the summer. We went to Santee Cooper Resivor in South Carolina. This was a very back woods part of SC, very racist, and very rural with the metro area consisting of some fast food chains and national store chains(Walmart, Home Depot, etc) based around an interstate teeing off at a stop light with a highway. My Dad was very pro gun and raised me around guns(the right way!). We were sitting in McDonald's drive through. A group of thugs and there thugettes were hanging out in the parking lot on the window side of the store. My Dad handed the cashier a $100 bill. She must have signaled one of the guys. He came up to the rear drivers side of the corner and was trying to get the cashier to come to the windows. We could actually feel the car moving from where he was rubbing up against it. My dad reaches his right hand around to the storage compartment on the car door. CLICK CLACK! Loud and clear he cocked that gun(I believe it was a .38, maybe a 9MM). The guy smartened up and backed off. Incident avoided. Had Subway employees not been making sandwiches with their bare hands, we would not have gotten in that mess..

Second:

2 Apt Complexes located on opposite sides of a 2 lane street. Working fire. FD hooks up a supply line to the hydrant which is on the opposite side of the road from the working fire. PD was dispatched to block the road, but where they parked was right buy the parking lot for the complex with the working fire. The entire width of the parking lot directly bordered the street(so think of 3 builds in a U shape with a big concrete surface in between. Another officer was on scene standing next to the cruiser talking the the officer in the drivers seat. Some young chick stops for the cop car blocking the road for the supply line. However due to the giant concrete pad of parking lot she actually starts to drive up around the cops. The cop outside shines his flashlight while the officer in the car shines his tear drop spotlight at the woman driver. She stops and rolls her window down and asks "can I go through here?" She turned around but seriously...

This happened today.

I was in school and I had a test today. As I went up the stairwell, I saw lots of people around one of my friends. I went closer and I noticed that he was sweating a lot and his left leg was hurt. Apparently he made some kind of fracture on the knee as he was getting up to get in class. Me and a friend of mine tried to make everyone give him some space. Meanwhile, some teachers and the school nurse arrived. They started to see what was wrong and they tried almost everything to get him back up.

50 minutes later, I started to hear some boots stepping the ground and a couple beeping sounds. I finished my test and I went out.

As I exit the classroom, I see two Beato FFs with a backboard, securing his leg. I go down the stairwell to get some pictures of the ambulance and this is what I see: about 60 kids around the stretcher making lots of noise and s**t like that. I take a picture of the ambulance and I talk to the security guard. After that, I go back up and I offer my help to take the EMT bag down to the ambulance.

As we get down the staircase (my heart was beating fast because of the excitement, weird, I know), we shout to the kids to back up and give us some room. The FFs put my friend on the stretcher and some teachers and security guards went to help them. We walk to the ambulance (I still have the bag) and I wait outside the vehicle to give the bag to one of the FFs.

They went to the Hospital and I got back to the class. ^^

Here's the pic I took.

1911651_731823780190552_1577402341_n.jpg

Once while in Boy Scouts, we had a tour of a local fire station, but before that could start, a call came in for a warehouse fire a few blocks away, we stayed at the station while the crews went out, we could see the flames from the fire station.

and another time, while riding my bike home from work, several unmarked cars surrounded another car and several cops(non-uniformed but with vests that said police on them) came out with guns drawn on the surrounded car and took the occupants into handcuffs, i didnt stick around to see the rest of what was going on

I am a night owl, always up late at night. Me and my ex-gf were living together in an apartment. So we crash out at like maybe 3AM or so, about usual for us. Awhile later we get woken up to that infamous BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM knock on the neighbors door...knowing these arseholes and not realizing it was only 6AM, I think it is one of thier friends being "cute." I peak through the blinds before I am about to go light some ones ass on fire, figuratively speaking of course, Then I see a Sheriff cruiser and deputy so I thought better of it. I go to take a leak and come back and my ex says FBI.....it took me a second to truly process that thinking she has to be kidding.Looked outside and sure enough I see 2 agents, one with a vest and one wearing a classic navy blue tee shirt with gold lettering...I guess there was something like 8 agents there. They spent about 4-5 hours going through the apt.Turns out the guy got busted for child pron.

Nice catch by the FBI there. Must feel weird knowing you lived next door to that...

I have a few incidents but nothing too exciting or involving me that much... the main one was probably a Christmas party gone wrong (alcohol strikes again) where two houses across the road from each other, each with about 15 guests and all of them really drunk, started fighting and arguing and just generally getting crazy in the street by my house. I called the police because I could see it was getting out of hand (one of the main instigators was a schizophrenic who had been involved in violent police incidents before) and the call handler was clearly a bit taken back when she asked how many people were involved and I said "between about 20 and 30". So a police car shows up after five minutes or so, but the fight hasn't calmed down.

The officers must have called asked for fast help because two minutes later another police car came up the road doing about 70mph (my street is a small and narrow 30mph!) and came skidding up. You could see they were really hauling, I think there were some weapons involved by this point but I wasn't sure. After ten more minutes of this chaos and flashing blue everywhere, things eventually calmed down and there were six patrol cars, two vans, a dog, and a helicopter and a traffic car :Oo

When I was six or seven, I was involved in a fatal car accident with a Drunk Driver. A white ford tempo(drunk drivers car) stopped on the highway, a jeep was behind the car and hit it the truck went air borne and did three barrel rolls before hitting our GMC. It crushed our roof and did two flips and slid 100 feet. The man driving the jeep died on scene. It was upsetting to see a corpse at such a young age. It was my first experience of death.   

So I was riding out at FS81 in Van Nuys on E81. E81 and RA81 got dispatched to an Auto vs Pedestrian call around 8:45 p.m. Additionally E7 and R7 were added due to reports of multiple patients. E81 was first o/s and we saw a woman ,who had gone under the car, lying in the middle of the street. E81 and RA81 personnel immediately began working on the woman. As she was being worked on, a young girl came to me and began pulling my turnout coat and yelling to me "the baby! the baby!". I immediately followed her and came across the vehicle and a stroller which had been pinned to the front. The baby was being pulled out of the stroller by witnesses and was handed to me. I immediately began to check if the baby was responsive and it was not. RA7 then pulled up next to me and I handed the toddler over to them. I later found out that the baby was fine. We then found a 2nd daughter which had a head injury. RA881 transported her to the hospital also. All 3 family members survived and made a recovery. 

Link to the story in the local news: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Girl-in-Stroller-Mother-Hurt-Panorama-City-Hit-And-Run-216896351.html

I'll give a short one with a moral:

My last day of FF 1 training we did a series of full evolutions, the last being a basement fire. We entered the burn building through the second floor doorway in attack tams of 3. My group pulled to the door clean and got inside with plenty of hose (probably too much in hindsight). I was nozzleman and started the push down the stairs. When I reached a landing, which I assumed was the basement floor, I had to stand up to help feed the line down the center of the staircase. Once I finished I went to get back on my knees and start the crawl to the fire, and I started to feel forward, right off the edge of the landing...It was a slow motion somersault down the flight of stairs.

When I hit the floor I had to take stock, and determined I was only slightly bruised, my mask seal was still good, and the hoseline had gotten away in the fall. I was able to re-combobulate and make a pretty quick knock on the fire.

The Moral of the story: Because my gear was on securely and fit properly I was able to continue my job safely. 

Got dispatched for a fire in a single family home. We were running three man crews at the time, so I'm on nozzle and Lt. is behind me, we go in through wide open front door. Visibility is getting worse by the second, we feel down the hall and finally see the flames, he whole time I keep knocking over glass bottles and feeling squishy "things" beneath my knees. Get knock down and the next two units vent. About this time we realize the hall was full of liquor bottles full of piss and plastic bags full of shit. We were covered in it. Had to be hosed down while on air.

Had a lot of great fires my first two years on in Ohio but the last year it really died down.