Handsup!

Help Settle a Debate

Hi, i've got into a debate (More of an argument) over on another forum and i was wondering if you could help prove me wrong, since i don't like to back down. (One of my annoying traits).

Are British constabularies allowed to lay hands on suspects/citizens if they feel threatened? I've seen officers shove people many times when they were cornered/surrounded/etc, but a Spec. Constable is saying he's never acted like that and only when the suspect is wielding a knife/oe, and when life is at risk. Also, unrelated to the debate, do you think the UK police forces should equip firearms (Beat cops)? Many people think we're wimps for not carring firearms, but i've seen figures of 10 gun-related homicides to every 100,000 people in the US, and 0.25 for every 100,000 in the UK, which goes to show with strict gun laws and arm-less cops (Unless you count tasers and Expandable batons) you get less murders!

officers here in UK can use force within reason so they cant hook you or anything put they can give you a shove and firearms thats a subject that has made news since the sootings of PC Fiona Bone and PC Nicola Hughs from Greater Manchester police but shootings like that are extremly rare as it happens i just done an eassy on that not long ago if you'd like more information PM me

Well the police with firearms in the UK argument/debate can go multiple ways ie If guns were issued to beat cops there could be an increase in gun crime for instance People could steal there guns and use it for crime people could also become more likely to get illegal firearms if they feel threatened enough.

One of the arguments for beat cops could be that it might also cut down on gun crime for instance an armed robber is robbing a location if the beat cops have guns then they will be more brave and try to apprehend the suspect without waiting for armed response units.

Also one more thing some traffic cops in the UK are also trained in firearms and can respond to armed incidents.

(ps) Ill tidy this up/add more later haha

also police can use reasonable force although it could get them into trouble and put off duty for a while ie if the person makes a formal complaint (again ill tidy/add to this later)

I have a freind at school who's uncle is a NSWPS officer his uncle and another officer were trying to arrest a suspect him and another officer the suspect grabbed his gun and shot the officer at point blank range which killed him and traffic officers are trained with tazers not firearms our police usually are part of the communities they work in and being unarmed makes officers more approachable by the public arming then would majorly sepparate them them from the communities they serve many officers dont want to be armed but a survey taken showed that parents etc qould like to see more armed patrols but saying that our police are one of the best in world with the way they opperate a ARV will take only a few minutes and itll be on scene before any IRV officers etc are there before the merger of scottish forces fife constabulary responded to 861 calls invollving firearms in 2010 and no one has been killed as a consequence.

I have a freind at school who's uncle is a NSWPS officer his uncle and another officer were trying to arrest a suspect him and another officer the suspect grabbed his gun and shot the officer at point blank range which killed him and traffic officers are trained with tazers not firearms our police usually are part of the communities they work in and being unarmed makes officers more approachable by the public arming then would majorly sepparate them them from the communities they serve many officers dont want to be armed but a survey taken showed that parents etc qould like to see more armed patrols but saying that our police are one of the best in world with the way they opperate a ARV will take only a few minutes and itll be on scene before any IRV officers etc are there before the merger of scottish forces fife constabulary responded to 861 calls invollving firearms in 2010 and no one has been killed as a consequence.

Mate I saw a police show over here about England one guy was a traffic cops he was trained for armed response and he had his gear in the back ie his gun ect sorry :/ (theres not much of them)

Are British constabularies allowed to lay hands on suspects/citizens if they feel threatened?

My dad works in the UKBA. This is what I remember him telling me.

• When confronted by an upset person, they need to take a defensive stance and calmly tell the person to settle down.
  • If that doesn't work, then you become more authoritative, and let them know that they will end up in trouble if they continue.
  • The next step is to physically push them back away from you.
  • If the person hasn't calmed down, remove your extendable baton from your toolbelt (but don't extend it, just hold in in your hand away from eyesight.
  • Extend the baton and let them know they will be arrested if they continue.
  • Arrest the person.

That's off the top of my head, so I've probably missed a few steps.

I don't think you're allowed to hold the person though, as that counts as detaining them.

10 gun-related homicides to every 100,000 people in the US, and 0.25 for every 100,000 in the UK

I don't care much for maths, but you need to level the two populations to get an accurate figure. The UK has a population of 62.74 million and US a population of 313.9 million.

During the first 10-15 mins, you see an officer push back an individual as they felt threatened, Then goes on to explain the powers they have in that situation.

**.youtube.com/watch?v=mhckQbyaUtU**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhckQbyaUtU

During the first 10-15 mins, you see an officer push back an individual as they felt threatened, Then goes on to explain the powers they have in that situation.

**.youtube.com/watch?v=mhckQbyaUtU**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhckQbyaUtU

I watched that a few weeks back when it aired, and this is where most of my backup is coming from!