TheHockeydude39

[WIP] Stillwater Modification [Fictional]

I have some suggestions

Make the fire department volunteer: It is very uncommon to see a payed compnay in a small rural town like the one in the mod

Give the trucks red/wite lights instead of red/blue: there are only a few states in the U.S. that use blue lights for the fire service

Make some of the trucks older models: A lot of rural companies can't efford newer trucks

Again just some suggestions it is your mod and you can do what you want. Cant wait for the release

Good suggestions and I have some more.

+Rescue Boat (something like a john boat) I"m not sure what you have decided but if you are making the campground and surrounding land and river federal they would have their own boat. If not the fire department and sheriff's department would have their own boats.

26_27.JPG

+A private ambulance service, most small towns have their ambulance service from a hospital in a nearby town, as such a small ambulance base (2 ambulances, 1 flight car) would be located in the town to provide medical assistance (Mercy does a lot in the Midwest, others elsewhere), the medical helicopter would also be off map. (Air Evac most likely) I know you were going to do a FD ambulance but volunteer fire departments tend to not operate ambulances because they need to be staffed 24/7.

+Pick a state for the mod and have a state highway patrol unit off map

@Fred03, with your statement about private ambulance service, In my area, we have local First Aid Squads and then contracted Paramedics. So basically, if my squad is called, we will respond and start providing BLS until the medics arrive and they will take over and do what they need to do and then we will end up transporting.

So I think it would be nice to see maybe one or two BLS ambulances for the first aid in the town and then a contracted paramedic company.

@jrff64, Not true about the red/blue lights. My fire company runs red and blue lights on almost all our trucks except the brush and tanker. We have split red/blue strobes on the front and rear and lightbar.

I have been looking over that rescue truck for the past day and personally I am not sure if it is very realistic for a town that size to have a rescue truck that big. I could see possibly a F550 or,a Freightliner M2, or even possibly a GMC C5500.

The brush truck would normally be about a F550 as well.

I am just looking at what the town would be willing to pay in taxes and from what I am seeing right now with the Rescue and the Engine, we haven't even see the command truck or the ladder, the taxes are going to be pretty high even if is Vol or paid on call.

just some more two cents

I have been looking over that rescue truck for the past day and personally I am not sure if it is very realistic for a town that size to have a rescue truck that big. I could see possibly a F550 or,a Freightliner M2, or even possibly a GMC C5500.

The brush truck would normally be about a F550 as well.

I am just looking at what the town would be willing to pay in taxes and from what I am seeing right now with the Rescue and the Engine, we haven't even see the command truck or the ladder, the taxes are going to be pretty high even if is Vol or paid on call.

just some more two cents

\

I know alot of towns that have trucks similar and they are volunteer. Everyone thinks these trucks cost a fortune but alot of towns have different ways as to buying trucks. There are different budgets that allow small towns to purchase newer trucks. Also take into effect grants that some departments may get. I know alot of small towns that have HUGE rescue trucks. Its always better to have more equipment than not enough.

Yeah, a lot of volunteer departments I've seen have pretty nice engines and rescues. The rescue is fine in my opinion; it's a good size. Keep in mind that a rural department in a town that they described need equipment for extrication and water rescue. A bigger truck is probably needed.

@JrFF34, yes but not always. My old department could not find the money to replace their trucks, but they made it work. (small river tourist town of 500) And I really don't think a ladder would be needed in a town of that size, really.

Actually a ladder isnt a bad idea. Some of the rural companies in my area hae ladder simply because none of the companies that provide mutual aid to them dont have a ladder.

A ladder truck also has more capabilities than just climbing to a roof. They can be used for rescue operations such as say someone is stuck in a high rapid speed river, a rescuer can tie a harness off on the ladder truck and it can basically be used as a pulley/crane.

Jrff34 and 64 is this the same person but two accounts?

Back to topic. That would be a really strange way to use a aerial truck.

Personally if you are going to have a rescue that big what is the swr truck really going to be used for. And actually if you were to think about it. Wouldn't a rescue/Pumper be better off. Again just going for realism here. If your Pumper truck was to go down for repairs your pretty stuck right?

Jrff34 and 64 is this the same person but two accounts?

Back to topic. That would be a really strange way to use a aerial truck.

Personally if you are going to have a rescue that big what is the swr truck really going to be used for. And actually if you were to think about it. Wouldn't a rescue/Pumper be better off. Again just going for realism here. If your Pumper truck was to go down for repairs your pretty stuck right?

We're different people :huh: .....

Back on topic. I've read things online, I think it was from, KME or something but some apparatus manufacture was talking about rural companies and basically how they're trucks are speced out. From what I have been seeing over the past few years, alot of rural companies are starting to spec out larger trucks now to carry more equipment. This is mainly due to the fact of low numbers of volunteers etc.. So in a realistic stand point for this whole mod, I do not see a problem with the rescue truck or even having a ladder truck. They can carry more equipment to a call instead of getting on scene and not having enough people to roll out a second truck because they need additional tools.

Guys, I think they get the point that it could be setup different. I've seen hundreds of different setups for different volunteers from rural to metro areas. Theres so right way to represent all volunteer departments in a single mod.

My old department used a mini pumper as a rescue/EMS truck. It worked well and had enough space to carry all our equipment. But that's irrelevant. I think that the one thing to really insure accuracy is to make sure not all the trucks are really new looking, Most VFDs I know of had one or 2 new trucks and the rest are older. But if they even get a script where volunteers would respond in their POVs (then we would have a discussion/argument over lights) it will be great, I would really like to see a working American volunteer mod.

My old department used a mini pumper as a rescue/EMS truck. It worked well and had enough space to carry all our equipment. But that's irrelevant. I think that the one thing to really insure accuracy is to make sure not all the trucks are really new looking, Most VFDs I know of had one or 2 new trucks and the rest are older. But if they even get a script where volunteers would respond in their POVs (then we would have a discussion/argument over lights) it will be great, I would really like to see a working American volunteer mod.

Yeah, there have been a few in the past, but they're never released...

But anyway, interesting concept. I think it will be interesting to play with very few units; you'll really have to know how to manage your resources.

Want some more reference pictures? These are at my local VFD:

You might want to make the station a bit smaller/less industrial looking. like so:

592.jpg

An example of a water rescue unit:

003-4.jpg

The engine company:

005-1.jpg

Few volunteer departments (here at least) can afford a big rescue rig like the one yall made.. I reccommend one like ours:

(The Ford, the KME is engine 2):

051.jpg

Tanker 1:

055-1.jpg

049.jpg

Ladder 1:

050-1.jpg

Hope I could help, if you need any additional pictures let me know!