bama1234

Montana Mod v2.5 RELEASED

1 hour ago, mercurygrandmarquis1 said:

Is lima FD going to be ALS or just have BLS volunteers?

BLS because its the most likely training they would have for the area. Beaverhead county also have a private EMS agency that has ALS qualified medics so it would seem redundant to have both as ALS.

On 8/1/2018 at 11:02 PM, itchboy said:

BLS because its the most likely training they would have for the area. Beaverhead county also have a private EMS agency that has ALS qualified medics so it would seem redundant to have both as ALS.

Not Montana related, but in West Virginia, all fire departments that carry an ambulance requires ALS training and as a result, some states and counties are requiring departments to start running ALS.

In NY where I am all fire companies have EMT-B ambulances. They used to have EMT-I but when AMR(previously Rural/Metro) came in with paramedic ambulances covering the town the fire companies went to only EMT-B. Generally fire companies here don't even transport because AMR takes every call even when they clearly are not needed

2 hours ago, Fred03 said:

Found two links, one just stated what you found already and one is a forum post on a FF Forum which (although isn't an "official" source) states that Montana does not allow sirens on POVs.

Good find on that site, its very informative.

I'll set the POV's up accordingly.

I found out that one of Lima VFD's brush trucks is a donated rig from the Montana DNRC. The old GMC brush truck also appears to be one because of its apperance being similar to other DNRC trucks stationed elsewhere in the state. It now answers the color scheme question Ive had for a while.

Here's a newer DNRC truck which appears identical to a brush truck that Lima VFD has.
578ff03002c2c.image.jpg?resize=1200,702

This leads to a question. What vehicles are these and what is the DNRC's role in supplying vehicles to departments? Do they act as their own department or are they the umbrella under which all FD's work?

B+85.jpg

• Upvote 1

So when I was involved in firefighting in Missouri I worked with management to get equipment. Basically the federal government distributes equipment (trucks, gear, random junk, etc) to state forestry departments. The state forestry departments then use some of the equipment themselves (used to be more back in the 80s and 90s) and distribute the rest to needy fire departments around the state. They distribute the stuff they kept too once they get better gear. I'd suspect that's how it works in most states. As for who has suppression responsibility that varies. I've found a link with info about Montana's jurisdiction here. Basically as I understand it DNRC responds to wildland fires on their own land and on land they are contracted to protect (USFS, NPS, BLM, BIA, basically federal areas not big enough to have their own response) and will assist local departments when requested as a mutual aid sort of deal. I would think they are NOT a umbrella, at least not functionally. They often respond when a local VFD can't put out a fire (it gets too big for initial attack units and is going to be a multi-day fire) and then they'll take over management of the fire along with the local authorities. Additional information about fire protection in Montana can be found here. They also provide aerial support for wildfires in the form of 5 helicopter based around the state. Apparently they also have a prison crew (Type 2 hand crew) that responds statewide when requested in partnership with department of corrections and the state police, info here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The mod is alive and well, I just haven't had anything noteworthy to share.

Besides, I dont like showing off unfinished units, but I'll at least let these ones through because they have textures.

The Explorer is mine but is based off an LOD by EA Games.

Dodge pickup and Mack truck are all new models by me.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On the DNRC question: after some brief research it looks like they both provide engines to communities and volunteer departments AND run crews/engines comprised of full time and seasonal wildland firefighters. 

DNRC Twitter: Gifting two engines to two separate volunteer fire districts.

Gallatin County Fire managers page with information on how they utilize engines from DNRC, mutual aid with the agency, and trainings offered by the agency.

DNRC Twitter.

They look like they have bases in state forests/lands where their engine companies originate. I'm guessing they are the primary emergency responders within their land and respond mutual aid to wildfire and natural emergencies outside of their land. It appears they are also tasked with getting local/volunteer structural fire departments up to snuff with fighting wildland fires and acting as effective responders on large wildfire incidents.