bama1234

Montana Mod v2.5 RELEASED

I appreciate the enthusiasm but (once again) please refrain from asking about updates. As it is with every mod topic, progress will come when it does.

Bama has pretty much said what has been needed to be said about where this project is going.

EDIT: Does anyone know what cab this truck is?

Untitled.png

On 5/18/2017 at 8:32 PM, itchboy said:

I appreciate the enthusiasm but (once again) please refrain from asking about updates. As it is with every mod topic, progress will come when it does.

Bama has pretty much said what has been needed to be said about where this project is going.

EDIT: Does anyone know what cab this truck is?

*PICTURE HERE*

I think it's a Freightliner. Maybe an FLD120?

Ive been given permission to post announcements while Bama is away. He should be able to give his take on it soon.

This is whats going on with the Montana mod as of now:

A new version is being worked on. This post is intended to give more detail to what bama said on page 1 of this thread. It will be slow and take time, but it will be done eventually. There will be no announced release date. The existing agencies in the mod will be dumped in favor of their real life counterparts. The last month on my part has been spent finding out what the vehicles in each agency are, understanding how each agency functions. The above posts regarding that truck are just one of dozens of pieces of information I've had to sift through. Mod wise, I have been setting up the foundation of the mod by creating all the needed folders, prototypes and units files before the assets are even created. This is being done so that the mod can be tested immediately as I am able to knock out each vehicle.

The biggest change to the upcoming version of the mod will be the inclusion of these real-world accurate vehicles, along with proper implementation of the dispatcher and battalion chief scripts that were incorrectly set up 2 years ago. We are also floating ideas of having the river on the map being used as a water source, and portable pond functionality for the tankers, that way the player does not need 10 tankers to fight a forest fire. It also potentially means that we do not need to make 10 unique tanker models just so that fires can be fought.

Bugfixes have been done to the mod such as functionalities that would 'bleed' into each other like the ability to get a taser and traffic cone at the same time, causing the police officer to bug out. The performance issues have been sorted out for the most part, but we found out that the original playable units were causing a noticeable drag on performance which is why the decision was made to scrap them entirely. Ill make another post at a later time to explain what was done to optimize the mod's assets.

Another change is the setup of the on map VFD station. Gone is the 2nd engine which will be replaced by a tanker. We found that having the tanker made the first engine much more usable and flexible in what it could do. We have no intention on adding anything to the on map VFD. In fact, it was actually suggested that the VFD station be removed in order to simulate the real Monida area, but some of these fictional elements will still remain in the mod.

No changes will be done to the FP map apart from adding in the default Em4 events that were missing such as defective traffic lights & rail crossings along with the rabid dog callout.

• Upvote 5

Yes. We're redoing em to be the same scale as what most other mods use.

No point in having larger scale vehicles if they're inconsistent like the orig mod's vehicles.

The large scaling also made AI pathfinding and going around obstacles quite difficult for some vehicles.

• Upvote 2

One of the things we have planned for the upcoming version is the missionscript which would enable us to have a new set of callouts that are distinct from the original Em4 ones.

I have to make a decision though. There are 2 possible setups that can be done but we cannot have both.

zohJnn4.png

Setup one would be this. It features a lot of sub objectives such as "investigate theft", "collect evidence", "send arson unit", etc that would need to be completed by the player before the call is considered completed. It is limited to only one callout at a time because of the lack of space in the objectives menu, and because the number of script checks would be too much for multiple callouts. This would be favorable for you if you're into RP'ing or taking your time with the mod. Examples of mods using this system: US Army Mod, Wegberg Mod, CPH Airport, Wuppertal Mod, the original NYC mod from 2006

Setup two would allow for multiple callouts at a time similar to the original Em4 setup. There will still be new calls but the tasks you need to do to complete them are just the same as the original Em4 setup. You'd simply extinguish fires, transport  the injured, tow wrecks. This setup will not have any sub objectives that the player needs to do because the GUI spaces will be filled with the entries for each callout. This script would also require a different type of 'check' different from setup one because of having to handle many more objects, vehicles, persons and so on ingame. Mods using this system: ERS Berlin, cancelled NYC 2 mod, this mission script from the German forums

From a modder perspective, option two would make the mod arrive faster than option one. Option two as well would be more stable because I have far fewer things running in the background to check each element. Option one would require the existence of a check for fires, another for injured persons, another for questioning individuals, another for arresting suspects, and another for transporting vehicles, and more for any other elements I wish to include. I also have to tie in checks for a lot of game actions such as entering vehicles so that the game recognizes for instance that a vehicle has been car-jacked by a suspect, or that a suspect has started an arson fire.

Each setup has its pros and cons so there's no real 'better' option between the two.

I am also experimenting with a few ways to prevent the theft of the mod's scripts and content. I believe it would be of use to other mods who wish to protect their content from misuse.

• Upvote 10

I have forgotten one major thing to explain to people.

Once the mod is setup to use the misisonscript FP, it is no longer MP compatible. If the missionscript goes through, we have no intention on making a separate MP version.

I will be adding another poll so people can decide.

• Upvote 4

This is the missionscript freeplay concept that will be going into the Montana mod. The video highlights one negative aspect in the code, that a simple medical call like this can become very montonous due to the lack of much else to do. The video ends in a jarring way at the end due to the game crashing right as the callout ended. Something that I need to sort out obviously, but I at least have something working for starters. Expect a better video once I sort out these programming issues.

A lot of features such as the custom dispatch menu will be removed for optimization purposes. No point in releasing something that takes 20 minutes to load, or crashes every 15 minutes because the player just happen to accidentally press the wrong button at the wrong time. That would invalidate the very point of updating this mod, which was to fix the optimization and CTD issues it currently has.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, itchboy said:

This is the missionscript freeplay concept that will be going into the Montana mod. The video highlights one negative aspect in the code, that a simple medical call like this can become very montonous due to the lack of much else to do. The video ends in a jarring way at the end due to the game crashing right as the callout ended. Something that I need to sort out obviously, but I at least have something working for starters. Expect a better video once I sort out these programming issues.

A lot of features such as the custom dispatch menu will be removed for optimization purposes. No point in releasing something that takes 20 minutes to load, or crashes every 15 minutes because the player just happen to accidentally press the wrong button at the wrong time. That would invalidate the very point of updating this mod, which was to fix the optimization and CTD issues it currently has.

Will the map be the LA mod map or the old country side map

On 7/3/2017 at 5:31 AM, Mirage Trapaga Löfmark said:

Will the map be the LA mod map or the old country side map

The countryside/rural map.

Now a question for people. I would like to ask, what specific calls do the US Park Rangers handle?

Another gameplay video, this thime the call actually completed thankfully but it CTD'd soon after when the script was 'clearing out' the data from the completed call.

• Upvote 1

an idea, but might be a difficult one to code possibly - use a script similar to Taser to capture an animal and maybe take it away to release it back in the woods?  But would probably have to model maybe a cat in raccoon colors?  that'd be a good one to capture.

but I would like something for the Park Rangers.

Definitely the in-depth callouts. Montana IMO is built for RPing, you already have different agencies that on a gameplay basis are unnecessary (Volunteers, park ranger, game warden, etc) but wonderful to RP with and provide that a more realistic view of gameplay.

Park Rangers also move on illegal campers and those who are posing a threat to the order and general 'niceness' of the forest they patrol,

• Upvote 1