Newfoundking

Acceptable Signature Sizes

Something we as a staff have been noticing as a problem lately is that signatures have been going rampant in size. I have a fairly large monitor, and just then, reading through a post, I encountered a signature that took up my entire screen. We are looking at changes in the future, but for now, the rules still stand.

Basically, what we're looking at, ins't a pixel count, so it's exactly 600x289 pixels or whatever, since that's really a pain and unrealistic at this time. The maximum size we're considering acceptable for now falls in one of these categories

Signatures roughly this size:

bannerv2j.png

This is acceptable with up two two lines of regular sized text, or one line of large sized text. That doesn't mean you can use the largest size the board will support either.

If you want to use TWO signature banners similar to mine, that is acceptable, but again, the maximum size we're looking at is that plus two lines of regular text, or one of stylize, or larger text.

The maximum size is 250kb, that doesn't mean you can upload a little tiny picture that takes up 1.2mb, it must fall into both categories of size AND measurements. If your signature is too flashy, and distracts from the rest of the page, it can also be removed, so no strobe pattern gifs guys.

None of these rules are new, they're just being restated because of the huge problem we've been having as of late. Continuing with what we have been doing, any signatures in violation of these rules, as outlined in the terms of service are subject to removal without prior notice.

I have seen some sig size addons for some types of message boards that will let people know if the images and/or text they are using falls within guidlines set up for the message board, The one i am thinking off off hand is one for an Invision forum software, But I am sure they have some addons for IP Board.

The problem we've been facing the most I find, is that people aren't using common sense. No one on this planet wants to see a six foot tall flashing gif when they're trying to troubleshoot or see the next screenshot. Really, it's just trying to get people to be considerate of others. I understand the importance of a signature, trust me. That's how I identify many members. Like Stan's six dead userbars are how I find his posts, but there is no need for huge, annoying signatures. This is the problem I think we'd encounter with such an add-on, is although it can monitor size requirements, strobe light type signatures will get through.

Thanks for the input though, I'm sure Stan will be looking into things like that, but in the meantime, the signature rules still stand, and as is true with rules that become broken rules commonly, I'm just reminding people it's still a rule