terickson30

Problems with adding new vehicles (to Freeplay)

I've been looking through the Forums on this site for awhile, and finally decided to create an account, as I have a problem that I've been struggling with. I have been "cloning" and modifying a few personnel and vehicles from the Los Angeles Mod (for personal use only), and I wish to add them into the game, mostly for Freeplay.

There are a few problems I've been unable to solve:

1. I wanted to add a new skin to a vehicle, and I followed the steps in a tutorial I found (http://forum.emergen...nning-vehicles/). I cloned the vehicles I wanted, including one in particular, which I made a new skin for. After following the steps in that tutorial and creating the new vehicle skin, I opened the Editor to edit the prototype for it. I loaded the L.A. Mod, then opened the editing window for it. I wanted to change the skin of this cloned vehicle, but all I can see are the .V3O files, which I can't seem to open in any program (such as Paint.net). I want to keep the existing vehicle and have a clone of it with the new skin in the game at the same time, but I have yet to find a tutorial that tells me how to do this.

2. I want to add new vehicles and personnel to Freeplay, and I want them to be buyable and usable just like the default L.A. Mod units are. Like the vehicle above, I cloned a few vehicles and personnel, then made minor changes for personal use in Freeplay. When I worked with them in the Editor, things seemed fine when finished, as well as when I changed the game files. When I opened Freeplay, they did not appear, and more recently even crashed the game in the same way as the Editor crashed in Problem #1 above, with an instant crash to the Desktop, and no error messages or anything else. The crash happened when I scrolled to the bottom of the Police Vehicles menu, and happened at least twice. When I reinstalled L.A. Mod, the problem went away. I don't want to change existing units, as I want my new units in Freeplay with all of the existing units.

I haven't changed anything such as models or anything that seems to be extremely complicated. I know that Hoppah, the creator of the L.A. Mod, has a tutorial on adding new vehicles, but the main site where it is seems to be down, making the tutorial apparently unavailable. Other tutorials, such as the one I gave the link to above, have been helpful until the very end, but I can't seem to make these work. I have very little experience with this, and I haven't found out how to make this work in Freeplay based on other posts. Thanks in advance.

Edited by terickson30

For the first issue the file you reskin is the .dds

Here's a video tutorial

Thank you for your reply, but I already know how to do what that video is explaining. I think the problem is more towards the end of the process, where I need to add the new skin, then get the unit into Freeplay, however that is to be done.

Do you rename the. v3o to dds?

Where do you save the file?

Is it a different name from the original?

These are the steps that I followed:

1. Copied existing .dds file (In this case blackhawk.dds) and renamed it

2. Renamed file from ________.dds to __________.V3O

3. Opened file in the Editor and unpacked it

4. Renamed file from _______.V3O to ________.dds

5. Opened file in Paint.net and made changes

6. Renamed file from ________.dds to ___________.V3O

7. Opened file in the Editor and repacked it

8. Renamed file from ________.V3O to __________.dds

9. Moved file into C:\Program Files (x86)\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\Mods\Los Angeles Mod v2.1\Models\Vehicles\05 US Army

I copied and renamed blackhawk.dds because I want both the original Blackhawk helicopter and my new version of it in Freeplay together. I hope this answers your questions.

I got the reskinned vehicle into the Editor, but I still don't know how to turn it into a functioning unit.

By the way, here is a link to a post with images of the reskinned helicopter, if anyone is interested:

http://forum.emergency-planet.com/index.php?/topic/16463-marine-one-helicopter/

Edited by terickson30