Sgt Alex4028

St John Ambulance - Get to know other cadets etc, show off your kit!

Hello My name is Liam, im from the west midlands area (Coventry) as a cadet (acting corporal) i find our unit is very big with up to 31 - 35 cadets. I currently finishing off Peer Education and i completed the SDA (new youth programe), thats how i got my SDU uniform for free and cadets have to pay for it as i think that is bad because national paid for mine. 

I play GTA IV and part of a Uk police clan and ive been looking at all your ambulances what you have modded and they are really awesome !!!!!!!!

Hi Liam, welcome to the forums, glad to hear you're enjoying SJA, any questions, pop a post here and we'll see what we can do! :)

The OC-D

I agree with 'theocd', we will offer assistance where we can :) I am a leading cadet of the Southend Combined Cadets Division; I also have been offered my SDU free, but that was about July time (last year)! Uniform here is often slow, but this is very annoying!

Regards, Michael :)

Just done a personal inventory... Just a modification from the Jaws Quote: "We're gonna need a bigger bag"

1522074_627795493943860_1348364870_n.jpg

On the note about uniforms; Just got my new PCS (Personal Camouflage System) uniform; MTP...seems alright, wore it in london for the remembrance parade. And luckily for the ACF Cadets/Instructors, its free (Costs loads though for the county, we get issued 2 PCS Shirts, 2 Combat Trousers and 1 Windproof Smock (Theyre not windproof :@) each, and that comes to about £150 as its all new from the MoD Manufacturer (Cooneen Watts and Stone)

Hi all, not in SJA or even SJAB(St John Ambulance Brigade of Ireland). Im a member of the Order of Malta Ireland(previously known as Order of Malta Ambulance Corps). Im a member in Dublin in the Eastern Region. Got bored and decided to read this thread and found it very interesting how the johnnies work. OMAC is one of the 3 vollies in Ireland whos primary focus is first aid and ambulance cover the others being the Irish Red Cross and the SJAB. Im more than happy to answer any questions about how OMAC or the first aid levels work here in Ireland.

How the hell can you wear a smock wrong :L

When we were on Whitehall waiting for our part of the parade to start (30 mins before my mate called David Cameron a pr**k right by him) the wind was going straight through me. Pretty nice material though, feels quite good, loose thread is a pain though.

I sorta got told off by the Garrison Sgt. Maj. for that... Eh

Just a quick question for the SJA guys; In the ACF we get a lot of "Walts" people who join and think they're the dogs bo..... you know what, and claim to have done this that and the other (Both in adults and cadets) Do you get any people like that?

Hi all, not in SJA or even SJAB(St John Ambulance Brigade of Ireland). Im a member of the Order of Malta Ireland(previously known as Order of Malta Ambulance Corps). Im a member in Dublin in the Eastern Region. Got bored and decided to read this thread and found it very interesting how the johnnies work. OMAC is one of the 3 vollies in Ireland whos primary focus is first aid and ambulance cover the others being the Irish Red Cross and the SJAB. Im more than happy to answer any questions about how OMAC or the first aid levels work here in Ireland.

Welcome to the Forum!

The OMAC seems like it does the same as SJA, but its good that you are involved in something like that any-road! What do you mean by "OMAC is one of 3 'vollies' in Ireland"?

Also have you heard of the SOS Bus and if so is there one in Ireland that you know of; because I am a member of SJA and the SOS Bus here in England and they say that there is a similar (if not, an SOS Bus) type get-up like the SOS Bus in Ireland, but here we are a bit unsure...

Regards, Mike :)

Welcome to the Forum!

The OMAC seems like it does the same as SJA, but its good that you are involved in something like that any-road! What do you mean by "OMAC is one of 3 'vollies' in Ireland"?

Also have you heard of the SOS Bus and if so is there one in Ireland that you know of; because I am a member of SJA and the SOS Bus here in England and they say that there is a similar (if not, an SOS Bus) type get-up like the SOS Bus in Ireland, but here we are a bit unsure...

Regards, Mike :)

Thank you Mike. Yes, we would do the exact same work as the SJA but OMAC would be the biggest in Ireland. By that i meant that the Order of Malta Ireland is one of 3 voluntary organisations that provide first aid and ambulance cover. The other 2 being The Irish Red Cross and the St John Ambulance Brigade of Ireland(Same as the uk one). Regarding the SOS Bus, upon googling what exactly that is, ive never heard of such project before especially living here in Dublin where it would be the most likely place to be. If youve anymore questions id be happy to answer.

I appreciate your response OMAC, I don't have any questions at the minute, but I won't be shy to ask in future, thanks mate :)

A short seven minute video of the SOS Bus here in Southend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeaJc4VJROg

Well, certainly an interesting past few months. 

Had the air ambulance out for the first time today since starting at WMAS and certainly not been a quiet time. 

Thank YOU OMAC, The order of Malta Ireland look like a great thing to be involved in! It does have some similarities to SJA, but it seems like it has money, does great work and does more than SJA!!!

Cheers for those videos, very interesting :)

As we are a charitable org and receive zero government funding so we rely soely on donations so we only have as much money that is donated. The International disabled camp shown in the video is hosted in order of malta countries worldwide so we only hosted it this year and not a annual thing in Ireland. So much fundraising was done and companies also sponsored it so money was gathered that way too. It cost a little bit over €250,000 so it was a lot! Yes we do a lot of work but my fellow members are very dedicated hardworking people and we are all a big family!

Aaaarrrr, you sound like you love doing your work, it also sounds like a great place to volunteer with you guys! Keep up the hard work! How many countries are there in the order of Malta countries? It may be similar to SJA with the Malta side as well because they are both linked in together somehow I believe.

Now, I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but St. John seems to be getting worse and worse every year! Cadets is just silly, we have to pay subs every year (£72, for what?), we do not get to do any trips or cross-cadet-championship things (such as cross division work), duties are getting less and less and overall it is getting stupid! It may be my division, but there are so many things that other cadets/members do all across the world, it seems we do next to nothing! 

Now, I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but St. John seems to be getting worse and worse every year! Cadets is just silly, we have to pay subs every year (£72, for what?), we do not get to do any trips or cross-cadet-championship things (such as cross division work), duties are getting less and less and overall it is getting stupid! It may be my division, but there are so many things that other cadets/members do all across the world, it seems we do next to nothing! 

I totally agree with you! It is the same in my area like when we changed from Hampshire to South East lots of people who have been there for ages were suddenly taken away from their post.

I totally agree with you! It is the same in my area like when we changed from Hampshire to South East lots of people who have been there for ages were suddenly taken away from their post.

If you are in cadets (or familiar with them) you'd know how off-putting the cost is (and the people if you're in an annoying division!). Even for adults, SJA just seems to be ruining itself, there are plenty of other places where you can do practically the same job!

L.C.Long i certainly do love it! the Order of Malta is in over 120 countries worldwide but Ireland is only one 2 two countries to have an Ambulance Corps. the other being Germany. the full name of the Order of Malta is Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St, John of Jerusalem Rhodes and of Malta and dates to about 1048 A.D so there is some connections along the line haha We basically are the same things Ambulance side of things with a different name and different regulations. Again with OMAC we have the good units and the not so good units but with about 85 units across the country its bound to be like that! 

Also our cadets are from ages 10 to 15 and when u turn 16 u enter the senior unit and are a senior member unlike wat the johns do here with cadets up to 18.

Well, as you say OMAC is like SJA in some respects!

I know this forum is called '...show off your kit!' but I have no kit to show!

Hey,

The reason you won't have received your ID card is because they normally take a little while. As a new member, get used to being patient for things to arrive. Other than a Polo Shirt to go on duty you will need some black trousers and some black shoes/boots. I would try not to buy anything especially - as soon as you have done your two duties and your First Aid course, your new uniform will be ordered and you'll wear that from then on in. Things like Hi-Vis will be issued you if required.

Hope that helps, any questions, drop us a PM.

The OC-D

Got my new Service uniform

It's looking a little scruffy, As i've just got it out of the box, needs ironing and stuff, Looks very impressive,

But my phone camera is letting me down with the quality pics :P

(The Jacket is reversible, The Arm pocket on the shirt is kind of weird, It's got 3 stitched in pen holders

(Or pen torch, Whatever you use them for personally) has the flap over it that when you have any pen/torches in

it, Doesn't close properly)

official advice, "if the transferred logo's fall off, Iron them back on"

img00117.jpg

img00118.jpg

img00119.jpg

img00120.jpg

img00121.jpg

img00122.jpg

(Same as the Cycle Responder Trousers, Can't get a good image of mine)

I wanted to ask if anyone with the new uniform, do you get new epaulets with it? cos i've see people with rubber ones, are these included with the uniform?