Sgt Alex4028

St John Ambulance - Get to know other cadets etc, show off your kit!

Hello Fellow St John Ambulance Members or Forum Browsers,

I thought It would be nice to put up a thread about other SJA members where we can get to know them, and also where we can show off kit :P I look forward to reading posts, and I'll kick this off with some stuff about me/Kit

About

I am Sergeant Alex Penn of Southend on Sea Cadets in Essex. I am Community First Aid Trained, as well as a Cadet Trainer. In 2011 alone, I have done 145 hours service, and counting. I have been in st John Ambulance since july 2010, and I can honestly say it was the best decision in my life. I love it! I have 2 Kit bags which are used sometimes! If its a huge scale duty, they go out.. Very Expensive to keep going though :/

Kit

This first is an Argus Trauma Bag Large Edition, kitted to the teeth with top notch SP Services Equipment.

The Second is an SP Services BackPack large, kitted with bandages and Spillage kits from multiple companies. There is a Sharps bin in one of the pictures which I must highlight, had nothing to do with me! It wasn't on the order list, it arrived in the bag, but I gave it to a Private Company

post-31750-0-91009700-1324207822.jpg

post-31750-0-98509700-1324207823.jpg

post-31750-0-97200600-1324207922_thumb.j

post-31750-0-34183700-1324207933_thumb.j

post-31750-0-86421500-1324207889_thumb.j

post-31750-0-68042900-1324207900.jpg

post-31750-0-92210400-1324207911.jpg

post-31750-0-60954700-1324207944.jpg

I'm OC-D, I'm a member with Vale Of Aylesbury Division, I am Advanced First Aid, AED and Med Gas trained. I only have a Zenith Fast Response bag of my own, cost me £60 and that's quite enough when I'm buying uniform and giving my time as well. I don't think I've used it, I always get a FIT Kit on the day. I'm currently doing very few duties as I'm at Southampton Uni, so I can only help the LINKs unit sometimes. I've been a member for 2 years now.

I suppose Michael will be next to post :tongue2:

The OC-D

*waves*

<- that's Me in the Ambo

I've been a Member of SJA For the Past 2 years, Gained so much experience from it & Made some great friends!

I've Gained the privilege of Running Our divisions Cadets for the Past year and hope to continue for quiet a while to come :)

No kit to show off :P We're a Very small division, All kit is stored away until we need it, But we're getting there with everything, Doesn't help with the New service uniform coming in, Would Rather get the current Ambulance greens for Adults.

you guys Get many people reporting crimes to you? I have amongst a few others at my division, Seems a fair few people lack the ability to read the "AMBULANCE" Part on the Uniforms.

Also, Someone thought i was a traffic warden.

I've had people think I'm many things, I made someone throw their mobile phone on the floor when they were driving because I was in white shirt, black tie and black epaullettes and my dad had worn white shirt and black tie for work so he though we were coppers. Ah, the new uniform's really messy, I don't like it, we should have stayed black and white and let PTA and over get greens, so much simpler, not this really random mix. They're not going to implement it nationwide any time soon, we had a brochure from 2008 and there's still no word of it and its almost 2012.

The OC-D

We've been informed the New Service uniform comes into action Mid 2012 and our order has been put in, Also, In some counties, Adults (FA+ Qualified) Get the Greens, Imo, Looks alot better as it's alot easier identifiable as Ambulance.

Also, I have people think I'm police whilst driving for the same reasons, Even in the Jumper, Very helpful when you have an impatient moron on your bumper, Just flash the shoulders :P

Staying on the topic of uniform: I had an idea for the rank slides which I put forward to the Essex Commander, but was declined. It was to have the regular rank slide, but have the division above the rank.. at least that way although we all have uniformity, some diversity too :)

Would have been nice to have that on the uniform, Probably on the sleeve, Although, I have caused a little confusion with my uniform whilst on Duty with West midlands ambulance service wearing A) SJA Uniform B) Leicestershire Markings (east Midlands)

Also, Having your Division shown on your uniform would show members of the public with little knowledge of SJA That we're not just one big organization, But made up of little groups.

the issue with our Division is that we're a very small group, One of the Few that is still Called a Quadrilateral and when on county events, I personally would love to show where we're from and get a little publicity for us.

Chances are, The reason it was declined was due to the cost, SJA Aren't really doing well, in a fair amount of debt, and having Unique parts of the uniform is an added cost that they probably don't want to take on.

I Put forward a suggestion a while back, But it was shot down, Was to have the "AMBULANCE" Marking on the Back of all Jumpers and Shirts, As it's fairly Dangerous for us to be mistaken for police, As we're more of a target than we already are now. (Authoritative Person = Target for Drunks + General idiots)

If anyone is Interested, There's a program on CBS Reality called "Rapid Response" Based on New Zealand St John (As they're the primary ambo service there) It's very interesting :)

I think we should keep all the old badges for where we come from. Being from a Buckinghamshire I get the third County Badge on my sleeve, the County Swan and it looks really cool and as far as I understand not all counties get them. What I do think is clever about the new uniform is the interchangable Role slides, so if you're PTA trained but working as a First Aider, you wear a 'First Aid' strip to avoid confusion. Although it possibly prevents those Med Gas trained, for example, from helping out as it "Says their working as a First Aider..."

The problem with having "AMBULANCE" across all out uniform is we're not the or even an Ambulance Service, we're a volunteer organisation that helps with First Aid and the like. If I'm helping at a Village Fete do I need "AMBULANCE" emblazoned across my shoulders? Not really. And the places where you do need it, you're either in Greens or Hi-Viz, both of which should have "AMBULANCE" or "St JOHN AMBULANCE" with the eight pointed Maltese Cross. (How do you make a Maltese Cross? Slap him for no reason!)

I've been watching a bit of Rapid Response, its quite good. Wonder if I could rock over in my Black and Whites to help out!

The OC-D

Fair point with regards to the AMBULANCE Section :)

Also, "Wonder if I could rock over in my Black and Whites to help out" Is what i think each time i watch it.

Just received my new copy of the 9th edition (revised) F/A Book, If anyone is interested in them, Amazon is the place to go, £7 Brand new, RRP £13.99 Bargain :)

I don't think so, you'd need to become a member and then work your way up from First Aider-->Advanced First Aider-->Patient Transport Attendant-->Emergency Transport Attendant-->Paramedic. Takes about 4 years :)

Hope that helps, and kinda hope I'm wrong because I'd be interested.

The OC-D

The way i got frontline experience (with the NHS) was by speaking with my divisional Paramedic, He offered a Shift on a frontline RRV for West Midlands Ambulance service. He also told me that They're Allowed to take SJA Members out on a shift with them at any point if there is general interest in the service by the SJA Member.

So it may be worth having a chat with them if you have one or joining SJA if you're not already a member.

Also, Glad you like the ambulance :)

If there isn't one, you can always approach your service and explain you're a member of St John with an interest in the service, And would it be possible to go out on shift as an observer.

£91.08 (inc VAT) £6 deliver, 3-5 working days.

SJA Badges = around £9 in total from the SJA Shop.

Comparing my jacket with an SJA Standard bomber jacket, The non sja is far superior in comfort and design.

The only thing I've had to do to it, Was sew on the Badge pocket on the back, As the supplier had issues with their supplier of the pockets.

It has a removable inner fleece (zipped in) Lovely and warm The below link is a direct link to the jacket and website.

http://www.uniformexpress.co.uk/

http://www.uniformex...t_AMB_BJKT.html

Anyone know any good, yet cheap ambulance equipment (like jackets, bags, etc). Im doing a paramedic course with my local ambulance service for a few weeks as my work experience and was thinking about getting some new stuff that i can use. (Ive used first aid more times than i care to know, so some Gucci kit would help me even more)

Check out those sites, There's some cheap alternatives that are still high quality, Or Ebay, usually a good bargain to be had on there.

For Equipment, Either http://shop.edsfat.org.uk or http://www.stjohnsupplies.co.uk/