Xplorer4x4

Interceptor , Caprice or Charger?

Thats the big questions for many police departments across the country right now, so I was curious to see how many departments have devised a plan or committed to a single model yet.

With that said, Evansville, last I heard, has not committed to any particular model yet. They were considering purchasing a few of each, throw them on the streets, and see what the officers like best, but had said committing to a single model was not out of the question. I am starting to consider if this remains true though. We have a single charge in the fleet from a year or two ago and I have not seen any more added to the fleet. I have also seen, 3 interceptors, er Taurus actually(unmarked units) in use recentley leading me to believe they have gone with Ford.

On the Vanderburgh County Sheriff side of things, they recently picked up both a charger, with white paint scheme deviating from the common brown and tan used by many sheriff departments, and a Interceptor marked with the traditional brown and tan paint job.I have to say the brown and tan looked fine to me on the Vics, but it is not so flattering on the Interceptor.

Personally, I like Chargers. They look the best, especially with a push bar and those black wheels, but Fords have always been reliable. Here, the town uses all Impalas. The sherriff uses both Chargers and Crown Vics. They're cool cars though, as they have the tan/brown paint with the red/blue LED lights.

I'd take a 90's Caprice over anything else, and I kinda liked the CVPI, but these days, the Charger is the only decent one IMO.

The new Ford Interceptor is just a Taurus (SHO?). For me, it's now more an equivalent to the Impala than a true successor to the CVPI.

And the Chevy Caprice PPV is in fact the Holden Caprice, designed and built in Australia. I'd say that disqualifies it as an American car.

Montreal has an aging fleet of Impalas (including a lot of previous-gen '04 models) and CVPIs that need urgent replacement, and they're apparently going to test Chargers and Tauruses next year. I hope they go for the former - I don't think they've had Mopars since the late 70s, save for a handful of Intrepids in the late 90s that didn't last very long.

I don't want to see the CVPI go :( I love it too much... But Placer County Sheriff just got one Charger, I believe, so more will probably come soon.

Roseville will probably keep their Vics for a while, which look really nice with a new paint job and lightbars on some :) I too agree with Voodoo, the Charger being the only decent one. My stepdad's buddy works for Sacramento PD and brought back a few packets with the Charger, Vic, Impala, Taurus, and some other stuff. Dodge did a great job on theirs, with about fifteen pages on the Charger.