Hey guys :)

I'm teaching myself modding skills on EM4, and am now reasonably competent at re-skinning, editor functions, specs, lighting and basic Zmodeler functions. However, at the moment I'm stuck on something - I've download a vehicle from the CCC, and have re-skinned it ready for use in my currently private mod (once permission has been gained it will be made public). However, I'm bemused as how to create prototypes - the wheels were provided, but I just can't fathom how to edit the file in Zmodeler to 'move' the doors into their own seperate prototype file. I was wondering if anyone could help - and explain how it's done :) I've tried selecting the polygons in polygon level, and then using Create >> Copy, but to no avail. As I haven't yet got permission, I can't post the file here, but if you would be willing to do this to you, I will temporarily upload it to a file hosting site and PM you the link.

Anyone who does this would have my eternal gratitude and respect :D

whhhoooo... that's a tough one!

i had the same prob with an ambulance from chidea. could make seperate doors with zmodeler.

hm, anyway, now as i read your post, i might have an idea.

i'm gonna check first and tell you if it works. if someone knows how to do it. i'd be interested too of course :P

greetz

Thanks mate, much appreciated :)

You don't use zmod for prototypes.... that's all in the editor...

Lol, I know that. I'm trying to ask for help with removing parts of a model which I can then use as a prototype- the CCC vehicles do not have door prototypes as they are simply designed as decorative or civvy traffic units, and I'm trying to convert one for use as an emergency vehicle. Apologies if I'm barking completely up the wrong tree or if my original post wasn't clear enough :)

okay, i checked it...

it is a functional way but it costs lots of time to make it look good :P

i took one of the ccc models, imported it in zmod and exported it again to *.3ds.

then i opened it up in sketchup copied and removed the door part (made another *.skp file of it) and exported both to *.3ds again

then another import to zmod and deleting all the meshes that are too much (or attach them all to one)

re-export as *.v3o and.... viola.... works

but i bet there's an easier way to do this in zmod too ^^

okay, i checked it...

it is a functional way but it costs lots of time to make it look good :P

i took one of the ccc models, imported it in zmod and exported it again to *.3ds.

then i opened it up in sketchup copied and removed the door part (made another *.skp file of it) and exported both to *.3ds again

then another import to zmod and deleting all the meshes that are too much (or attach them all to one)

re-export as *.v3o and.... viola.... works

but i bet there's an easier way to do this in zmod too ^^

Lol yeah, there probably is a slightly less convoluted way to do it. Though thank you very much for trying and using your time to lend a hand - much appreciated. I'll wait a few days to see if any other users have an idea, but if not, then I guess I'll give your method a shot! Thanks again :)

Just in case anyone comes across this topic whilst searching, thought I'd let them know what I did to rectify the problem:

1) As far as I can see, there is no easy way to do it - you need to create a new door - though with CCC models, you can kinda cheat :D

2) Load up the CCC model in Zmodeler, and select Left/Right view, depending on where your door is. Stretch out that view so it fills the whole screen.

3) Take a screenshot, and edit in an graphics program of your choice (I use Paint.NET) to remove all but the image of the door mesh. Then crop it so the image is wholly and only consiting of the door.

4) Load up Zmodeler and start a new model - and in the viewport from which you took the screenshot, set the image of the door mesh you created as the background image (if you don't know how to do this, look up introductory tutorials of Zmodeler on the internet).

5) Now you can, in effect, just 'trace' over the image, replicating the CCC door exactly. Export this as a V3o.

6) Lastly, load up both the vehicle base model and your new door, scale the door and finally delete the non-functional door of the base model by selecting the individual polygons.

Et voilĂ  - you're done! Remember that when crediting this model, note that while you created the door, it was based on the original CCC model. Enjoy, and if you have any questions, PM me! :)