emergency4freak

Emergency Unit Pictures

On 3-19-2008 LAFD LF88, RA88, E88, E99, USAR88, B10, LA County Coroners, LA DOT/Parking Enforcment, LAPD and OPG (official police garage) Tow responded to a call of a possible shooting at 14724 Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks. Arriving on scene, they found an apparent suicide by a woman who had fallen from the top of the National Bank Building.

Jumper-big.jpg

LACoFD-TC-update.jpg

Updates breed updates, or so they say! The last few have been very LA City focused, so this time we're going to look at LA County! I've added 34 pictures of a minor injury traffic accident on the 101 freeway with LACoFD Q125 and S88, and 1 picture of LACoFD Engine 67 and it's crew. I'll be adding more LACoFD pics this week as time permits, so keep checking the updates and as always, Enjoy!

What SLR do you have?

I'm guessing this question is for me. I primarily shoot digital with Canon EOS-1D Mk II's but also carry a Leica R5 Film camera and a small Olympus C-4040 pocket camera. The best part about the Canon EOS line is that they mate up with all of my Leica lenses so I didn't have to rush out an replace all of my glass when I made the jump to digital.

Yes folks, it's 3 in a row! Today's update is from Los Angeles County Fire Station 125. Home to Engine 125 and Quint 125, these shots include some of my favorites and show the classical design of the station. This make over 300 pics added in the last 10 days!

What exactly is Quint 125?

What exactly is Quint 125?

An LACoFD Quint is a tractor-drawn aerial ladder truck (tiller) that also has a pump, water tank, and hose like a normal fire engine/pumper. Pumpers are classically known as triples due to their function of having a Pump, Tank, and Hose, and a quint being 5 things adds ladders and an aerial ladder to those three.

During the Canyon Fire in Malibu, Q125 had laddered the roof of a house on the right side, laid lines into the backyard of a house on the left side for structure protection, and a progressive hoselay up the side of a hill to the right side. They were fortunate that the fire occured near a shift change and they were able to respond as an unsual 7 man truck instead of the typical 4 man. Since the Engine was already commited to the fire, they absored the oncoming engine crew onto the truck and the remaining 4 from the oncoming truck crew staffed a reserve rig.

Unusual times call for unusual methods!

The 400 is a great prosumer SLR. Mount a Sigma 50-500 on that and you're pretty much set, if your back and arms don't give out first.

CanyonIC-CDF-misc.jpg

Back to the Canyon Fire! Today's update includes 52 shots of CalFire/CDF's Helicopters 301 and 404 at the Pepperdine Helispot and coming in over the ocean. I'm getting ever closer to finishing the Canyon IC pics, so if you're a fan of fire aviation, keep checking in and as always, Enjoy!

(btw, I'm now over 11,000 pics on my site. Still have another 43,621 in my unsorted/unedited folder)

wow, mike great pics but you must be killing your computer lol. anyway, keep it up :D

Thanks for the compliment and yeah, over 400 pics added in 4 days has to be a new record for me. I'm going to try and edit 110 photos today, and get at least 50 of them up tonight. From the Canyon IC fire, I still have USFS Contract helos, some misc helo shots, shots of Long Beach E1 and 17 along with a couple of other Engines, about 120 scenery shots, 200 skycrane pics, and maybe salvage some of the Air Tanker pics which barely came out. After all THAT, i'll be done with the Canyon fire!

Sheesh,

Mike

How did you make that pics from above?

Since it is a bigger hit on my server to link to each thumbnail individually and load each one every time, I go through the latest pics I upload, pick out a handful that I feel showcase a good representation of the update, and then just copy the urls into notepad. Using some basic html, I can make a grid like you see and then just screen cap it into a small jpg.

If you want to do it with local files, I recommend using irfan. It has a great thumbnail to jpg feature.

UPDATED 04/4/2008: CanyonIC: CWN Erickson Air-Cranes

CanyonIC-Pep-H732-035.jpg

First update of April and this time it's 64 shots of Erickson Air-Crane HT732 and HT742 at the Canyon Fire in Malibu. These shots were taken at the Pepperdine Helispot where it snorkled reclaimed water from the schools pond. Enjoy!<br />