L.C. Long

Police or Paramedic (Thanks to all who voted, POLL NOW CLOSED)

I was just wondering what you thought because I have 4 years until I leave school and I can't decide what to do!

That's up to you what you want to do in your future. Don't have a public majority vote on it. See which one is more interesting to you. If you are old enough maybe take some ride along or visit the stations and see what you'd be getting into in each of them. Then talk to family or friends or something about it.

I'm hoping for fulltime soldier, but it is down to that or Firefighter, for me, just do what you think you can see yourself doing for your life, I've ballanced the risks and the rewards but this is how I can really help people, so that is why I'm doing it.

I would highly recommend paramedic, just cause that's what I do. However, I highly recommend a Junior FF or Explorer Program for both the Police and Fire/EMS side. If you want to look for an explorer post here's a link: exploring.learningforlife.org

That web site will tell you what exploring is all about and let you find posts near you if you are interested.

That's up to you what you want to do in your future. Don't have a public majority vote on it. See which one is more interesting to you. If you are old enough maybe take some ride along or visit the stations and see what you'd be getting into in each of them. Then talk to family or friends or something about it.

Thanks njboy13, that is helpful, but I was just wondering what the majority of people thought. I still have 4 years left at college so I have a bit of time to think, But whatever I choose, either Police force or Paramedic hopefully it will be in New York as that is my dream, to live in New York!

biggrin.gif

And thanks to all the reply's that I had from other people, I have taken on board what you said. (bearing in mind that Law Enforcement and the Ambulance service is different in America.)

If you choose police, make sure to have a spotless record and be willing to reveal every secret you have, as most departments nowadays will demand that if you wanna work for them, simply because they don't want to give someone a gun and a badge if they aren't top material, also, the biggest tip, don't lie. If there's a question on your interview asking if you've ever commited a crime, and to list it, and you have, list it. If it asks about drugs, or underage drinking, and you've done either of the two, list it. Police Departments will gladly hire someone who is honest and has integrity over someone who would rather hide that they broke one law a while ago.

Paramedics on the other hand, at least in Canada aren't near as invasive with hiring. Mind you, it's an equally challenging task, jsut in different aspects. The biggest thing you've gotta ask yourself with that, is if you were working on someone and they died, would you be able to handle yourself. If you think, even for a second, that you wouldn't be able to, it's best not to go for that, as there's a good chance a paramedic will have a patient die on them eventually, and you shouldn't put yourself through something you can't handle.

Now that I've scared you away from both professions, know that if you are willing to do all the things in the above two paragraphs, then you'll make a fine paramedic or police officer. Also remember that most people elect paramedicine as a certification in the emergency services. Half the firefighters in my city's department are paramedics, and a good few of the police officers have the training, so if you do choose to be a police officer, that doesn't mean you can never learn paramedicine, as there is always the options of upgrading your knowledge. Just cause you leave school and start a career doesn't mean you're done with learning new certs/skills, and it might not even mean you keep that job! Don't fret too much. I personally recommend taking some police study type courses, and some medical study type courses in college as lelectives, just to see if either interest you, and also talk to emergency service men and women around town, they're always happy to share with someone interested. Just remember, don't interrupt them when they're busy, especially if armed ;) haha

I will warn you that in New York, both the city and the state, EMS is paid sh*t. I'm a volunteer EMT about an hour north of the New York City, but the paramedic services are paid. Almost all of the medics are working at least 2 ems jobs, including one I know of that has two full time medic positions and on part time medic position. As for in the city, a FDNY medic makes $59,079 at base after 5 years and an NYPD officer makes $76,488 at base after 5.5 years. Also, FDNY medics are considered a rank below fire fighter. That being said, FDNY medic doesn't require anything beyond a high school diploma, where as a NYPD officer requires 60 college credits, and any higher promotion requires more college credits. It's really up to you, there are plenty of FDNY medics that enjoy their job, as well as plenty of NYPD officers who enjoy their job, so do what ever you think is best. I know both FDNY EMS and NYPD do ride alongs, so maybe check with them, it might be a good idea so you can see what's actually involved in each job and then make a decision on what you want to do.

What a bout FF? I mean that is wht I really want to do, even though I know when I step into that building that's on fire, me and all the other Rookies, will be asking ourselves, "What the F*** am I doing?" but I think I can handle the rest, but I don't know until I try. And one thing I don't want to do is waste my life behind a desk or telling other people how to do this, or serving up burgers at Mickeys. If you look back, you can always say to yourself, "I did it, I was scared out of my mind, but I did it." :blush: life is full of choices there is no right or wrong written in stone that we all live by, so do what is right for you.

How come there is not a both because LASD has Deputy Sheriff paramedics?

It's because there's so many of both that there's no need for duplication of services. I once had an FDNY EMS officer tell me that you can throw a dart in any direction in NYC and hit a paramedic unit. Outside of the city, there are places where they have cops that are EMTs or medics but that's in areas where ambulances have prolonged responses. NYPD ESU are all EMTs and they have a few tactical medics, but they only don't run medical calls, they just use the EMS skills on the calls that they're assigned.

If you choose police, make sure to have a spotless record and be willing to reveal every secret you have, as most departments nowadays will demand that if you wanna work for them, simply because they don't want to give someone a gun and a badge if they aren't top material, also, the biggest tip, don't lie. If there's a question on your interview asking if you've ever commited a crime, and to list it, and you have, list it. If it asks about drugs, or underage drinking, and you've done either of the two, list it. Police Departments will gladly hire someone who is honest and has integrity over someone who would rather hide that they broke one law a while ago.

Paramedics on the other hand, at least in Canada aren't near as invasive with hiring. Mind you, it's an equally challenging task, jsut in different aspects. The biggest thing you've gotta ask yourself with that, is if you were working on someone and they died, would you be able to handle yourself. If you think, even for a second, that you wouldn't be able to, it's best not to go for that, as there's a good chance a paramedic will have a patient die on them eventually, and you shouldn't put yourself through something you can't handle.

Now that I've scared you away from both professions, know that if you are willing to do all the things in the above two paragraphs, then you'll make a fine paramedic or police officer. Also remember that most people elect paramedicine as a certification in the emergency services. Half the firefighters in my city's department are paramedics, and a good few of the police officers have the training, so if you do choose to be a police officer, that doesn't mean you can never learn paramedicine, as there is always the options of upgrading your knowledge. Just cause you leave school and start a career doesn't mean you're done with learning new certs/skills, and it might not even mean you keep that job! Don't fret too much. I personally recommend taking some police study type courses, and some medical study type courses in college as lelectives, just to see if either interest you, and also talk to emergency service men and women around town, they're always happy to share with someone interested. Just remember, don't interrupt them when they're busy, especially if armed ;) haha

Thanks, that has helped me decide a bit more on what to do as a career, and you are sooooo right on the paramedic paragraph.

I will warn you that in New York, both the city and the state, EMS is paid sh*t. I'm a volunteer EMT about an hour north of the New York City, but the paramedic services are paid. Almost all of the medics are working at least 2 ems jobs, including one I know of that has two full time medic positions and on part time medic position. As for in the city, a FDNY medic makes $59,079 at base after 5 years and an NYPD officer makes $76,488 at base after 5.5 years. Also, FDNY medics are considered a rank below fire fighter. That being said, FDNY medic doesn't require anything beyond a high school diploma, where as a NYPD officer requires 60 college credits, and any higher promotion requires more college credits. It's really up to you, there are plenty of FDNY medics that enjoy their job, as well as plenty of NYPD officers who enjoy their job, so do what ever you think is best. I know both FDNY EMS and NYPD do ride alongs, so maybe check with them, it might be a good idea so you can see what's actually involved in each job and then make a decision on what you want to do.

Thanks firefighter111, I have now decided to do some 'ride-along's' as you call itbiggrin.gif

What a bout FF? I mean that is wht I really want to do, even though I know when I step into that building that's on fire, me and all the other Rookies, will be asking ourselves, "What the F*** am I doing?" but I think I can handle the rest, but I don't know until I try. And one thing I don't want to do is waste my life behind a desk or telling other people how to do this, or serving up burgers at Mickeys. If you look back, you can always say to yourself, "I did it, I was scared out of my mind, but I did it." :blush: life is full of choices there is no right or wrong written in stone that we all live by, so do what is right for you.

Sawdbuster, They are very wise words my friend, but personally I don't think I could handle being a fire fighter. Thanks anyway for your input. APPRECIATED!!12.gif

You might also think about what you might want to do specialty training in. FDNY EMS has HAZ TEC rigs, which are Units that are trained to the Haz-Mat technician level, and carry basic Haz-Mat equipment so they can enter "hot" zones and treat patients. FDNY EMS also has rescue medics, who are trained in multiple disciplines of technical rescue allowing them to operate in high and low angle situations, confined space operations, and other similar situations. As for the NYPD, you can pretty much specialize in anything you could possibly imagine. NYPD ESU can do everything an FDNY rescue company can do besides fight a fire, Haz-Mat operations, and swat operations. There are also many other specialized units that do just about anything you imagine, so you don't necessarily have to go to school for law enforcement, since essentially anything can be investigated. I know a guy who has an accounting degree and was specifically recruited by our local sheriffs office because they were looking create an economics crime unit.

You might also think about what you might want to do specialty training in. FDNY EMS has HAZ TEC rigs, which are Units that are trained to the Haz-Mat technician level, and carry basic Haz-Mat equipment so they can enter "hot" zones and treat patients. FDNY EMS also has rescue medics, who are trained in multiple disciplines of technical rescue allowing them to operate in high and low angle situations, confined space operations, and other similar situations. As for the NYPD, you can pretty much specialize in anything you could possibly imagine. NYPD ESU can do everything an FDNY rescue company can do besides fight a fire, Haz-Mat operations, and swat operations. There are also many other specialized units that do just about anything you imagine, so you don't necessarily have to go to school for law enforcement, since essentially anything can be investigated. I know a guy who has an accounting degree and was specifically recruited by our local sheriffs office because they were looking create an economics crime unit.

Thanks firefighter111, I will have an insight!

that's deep..... :stupid2:

I don't truely know what I want to do, it is still up in the air, but I really want to be a FF because I don't how to do anything else for a job right now, except a student, (according to my teachers). but mmy life is the last thng I want to worry about, I love helping others and I think that is how I should do it. I would much rather go down singing, than on a bed.

Live long, live bored. Live quick, live amazed.

that's deep..... :stupid2:

I don't truely know what I want to do, it is still up in the air, but I really want to be a FF because I don't how to do anything else for a job right now, except a student, (according to my teachers). but mmy life is the last thng I want to worry about, I love helping others and I think that is how I should do it. I would much rather go down singing, than on a bed.

Live long, live bored. Live quick, live amazed.

Thank you Sawdbuster, that is very wise and the saying at the end is very emotional and as you say 'Deep'.

You could be a search and rescue pilot or maybe a police pilot. That way you get to chase criminals and save people but it's not actually you doing most of the work. Its also a pretty demanding job as you have to be there as quick as you can. I would go for Police, Micheal you're in the UK why don't you go to the Met. Thats where I want to go. You could join the British Transport Police and catch people on trains and London's rail networks. But don't let others decide your fate it's up to you.

Thanks jacob, but the reason I put up this poll is that the police are not recruiting now :(

I blame the world economy, some morons invest in a project that epically fails, and now everyone is losing money, except for those really rich people, who just had to sell the Segways they use to travel in their houses, but anyway, the Police and fire Dept recruiting roosters are in the toilet, because they have no money, I can't believe that it has come to laying off FFs, I would rather see teachers fired, even though what I really want to see is no one getting fired, but life sucks and you have to make it work.

Remember to not to pay attention to the propaganda :spamsign: and do the right thing for you. :12:

I blame the world economy, some morons invest in a project that epically fails, and now everyone is losing money, except for those really rich people, who just had to sell the Segways they use to travel in their houses, but anyway, the Police and fire Dept recruiting roosters are in the toilet, because they have no money, I can't believe that it has come to laying off FFs, I would rather see teachers fired, even though what I really want to see is no one getting fired, but life sucks and you have to make it work.

Remember to not to pay attention to the propaganda :spamsign: and do the right thing for you. :12:

That is very right Sawdbuster, but as you live in america, the police and FF's will be recruiting all the time, but here in England they are not recruiting for about 7 years, which is very, very, very stupid!!

No one is recruiting, which really sucks, because Imagine seeing your hopes and dreams go up in flames without any chance of saving it, because there aren't enough guys to do so, I can't believe why everyone is spending their money like there is no tomorrow, so no one can pay for ANYTHING ELSE.

No one is recruiting, which really sucks, because Imagine seeing your hopes and dreams go up in flames without any chance of saving it, because there aren't enough guys to do so, I can't believe why everyone is spending their money like there is no tomorrow, so no one can pay for ANYTHING ELSE.

Currently I have my eyes set on being a paramedic which, as far as I know, are going to be recruiting when I leave college, so hopefully I will be a paramedic and still enjoy the job I will be doing. :police: