rickyrescue

Professional Ambulance, Glendale CA

Where did it go?

Pro Ambulance was big with Burbank Fire and Glendale Fire departments in the 60's-90's until MedTrans bought them out in the mid 90's. MedTrans sucked so the two Fire Departments kick MedTrans out and got there own ambulances. Thats what happened.

For more pictures go to http://www.emergency-planet.com/group.php?gid=128007370460&v=info#!/group.php?gid=128007370460&v=photos

Guest EMT1101

AKA: American Medical Response. AMR will be using "Professional" as a way to penetrate the San Gabriel Valley market as a way to avoid their poor reputation.

Guest Medicop55

Professional Ambulance was started by actor A. Rand Brooks. It provided outstanding 911 paramedic service to the city of Glendale from 1975 to 1999. I worked there for 10 years. Pro was the first in LA County to use Bike Medic Service, 12 lead EKG's, PEDs intubation. We also intruduced a supervisor medic/extension unit and a SWAT-MEDIC unit who worked with Glendale PD. We had 4 paramedic rescue ambulances dedicated to the city with another in Pasadena and one in Burbank who backed us up and ran inter-facility transfers. All at a cost to the city of abour $176,000 per year. During the big Glendale Fires in the early 90's, when all the local fire resources were battling the blazes, the medical patients in the city were well cared for as Pro put up additional ambulances to boost the EMS system. Pro Medics were known as some of the most experienced and best trained medics around. Medtrans bought PRO and AMR bought MedTrans and yes, Glendale Fire put their own medics in service (50 brand new fresh out of school medics to be exact.) Anyway, that is a little history. Fortunately almost all of us were able to move on to good careers in Ambulance Admin, Fire Service, Law Enforcement. Some are Doctors, Physicians assistants, nurses, and even lawyers now. So I guess it all worked out despite the political back door shama-lama we were handed.

Hey,

I worked for Professional from '73-'75 while in college. Those were pre-paramedic days for the non-FD private ambulance companies. Rand Brooks was a great employer. Bob Croll was the supervisor. The guys I most often worked with were Mike Blanchot, Joe Mallory, Greg Cooyman (a former medic in Nam). Pro had the contract with LA county to transport patients between the main jail and LA county Hospital...those runs were fun. We also backed up LA City Fire RAs, and as Medicop55 said, Glendale Fire, Burbank Fire, and also Pasadena Fire. The last was out of a station that was formerly a service owned by a funeral home...the mortuary was across the parking lot from the station, and the senior embalmer used to come over in the morning for a cup of coffe, and would ask us to help move a "case" occasionally.

The rigs were a mixed lot. My favorite was KL-7, based on a GMC half- ton platform. KL-5 was a caddy ( or Olds?) rig. We did have a couple of van- based rigs.

Had lots of great times working for Rand. I went on to a career in environmental science.

Cliff

I worked for Pro in the 80's. Rand was a great guy. Every morning when I arrived he had that big smile, then would proceed to sing a Broadway song "Kkk- Katie🎶..."- he was proud of his acting and especially his role as "Charles" from Gone with the Wind.

I worked 24s out of Pasadena when the morgue next door was fully operational and got an eye full when new "clients" were brought in for processing. Also worked the Van Nuys station that was full of pranksters. One night my crew arrived back at the station 1am where I found my mattress on the roof! The was hell to pay and my mattress was in it's proper place relatively quickly. More pranks followed but now these are some of my best memories... how we dealt with the stress of tragedy in our work. I loved my work and the people I worked with. Thanks Rand for the opportunity ansvthe memories!

Nowadays I have 4 sons in college and work a full time job as Licenced Psychologist and part time CIF Basketball Official. 

Katie S.