Gamage

Performance and Graphic Fixes

Was this Useful?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Was this Useful?

I'm new to the forum but had this game for a while as well as read a lot on the forums. I decided to help you guys out with things that I figured out that I believe some of you still have trouble with.

And just in case I apologize if anything was mentioned or if this is under the wrong category.

Important!: If you want to try this you MUST have NVIDIA drivers.

Performance Fix

Ok to start off I noticed a few people have trouble with lag/slowdown when multiple units are selected.

I had this problem myself and turned off PhysX. This improved my performance by a lot.

To do this turn on the NVIDIA Control Panel by right clicking and selecting "NVIDIA Control Panel"

post-11006-1265769342_thumb.jpg

Once it's open it should look something like this...

post-11006-1265769385_thumb.jpg

Then click on "Set PhysX configuration"

post-11006-1265769489_thumb.jpg

Once on the page click "Disable" and then apply your settings.

post-11006-1265769545_thumb.jpg

Slight Graphics Fix

Now for a few graphics improvements using the Nvidia Control Panel

These allow you to max out the games "Default" graphics and allow the NVIDIA Control Panel to make those graphics look even better such as adding AA among others.

Repeat the above steps to simply open the NVIDIA Control Panel

Then click on "Standard" and a drop down menu should appear.

post-11006-1265769807_thumb.jpg

Click on "Advanced"

post-11006-1265769860_thumb.jpg

Then click on "Manage 3D Settings"

post-11006-1265769912_thumb.jpg

Click on "Program Settings"

post-11006-1265770120_thumb.jpg

Now click on the drop down box labeled as 1 and find "Emergency 4" which is labeled as 2.

post-11006-1265770433_thumb.jpg

These are the default settings

post-11006-1265770600_thumb.jpg

And here are the settings you need to have in order to use the NVIDIA Control Panel to it's full potential (NOTE: If your game becomes slow because your computer can't handle it but you still want superior graphics only lower "Anisotropic Filtering", "Antialiasing - Settings", and the "Antialiasing - Transparency")

post-11006-1265771035_thumb.jpg

Here is the lower portion of the settings once again to use the Control Panel to it's full potention (NOTE: Out of these settings you can lower everything or turn them off if your computer can't handle it)

post-11006-1265771324_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to click apply

post-11006-1265771457_thumb.jpg

Also if at any point you want to put all the settings back to their original settings just click restore.

post-11006-1265771572_thumb.jpg

Resolution Tweak

Here is a Resolution fix I was promising all day

Open up "My Computer" and go to Drive (C:)

post-11006-1265847694_thumb.jpg

Open up "Program Files (x86)"

post-11006-1265847744_thumb.jpg

Find a folder called "Wizard Works"

post-11006-1265847822_thumb.jpg

Find a file called em4 or em4deluxe (You will only have one of these)

post-11006-1265848011_thumb.jpg

Copy and past it in case you make a mistake.

post-11006-1265848054_thumb.jpg

Right click and select "Open with..."

post-11006-1265848106_thumb.jpg

Select "Notepad" (or if you have it "Notepad2"thanks to Xplorer4x4 for bringing this up)

post-11006-1265848150_thumb.jpg

A file with lot's of gibberish should pop up

post-11006-1265848227_thumb.jpg

Press Ctrl+F. Find should pop up

post-11006-1265848883_thumb.jpg

Type in xres and click find next.

post-11006-1265848934_thumb.jpg

Find the two values of xres and yres

post-11006-1265848976_thumb.jpg

Change the numbers to your resolution (mine is 1920 by 1200)

post-11006-1265849018_thumb.jpg

Save and your done!

post-11006-1265849044_thumb.jpg

The copy was made as a backup in case you make a mistake or it wont start. You can just copy it back to retry or just leave it and not mess with it any more.

Camera fix can be found in the L.A. MOD FAQ

If you have any problems just post it here or PM me.

I will also be making a tutorial for ATI soon (im getting an HD 5870).

Have fun! :)

Guest [SAP]Francis
Glad it helped a little at least. For me it was actually a larger performance boost and the graphics were moderatly better but that could be because the jagged edges annoyed me a lot more.

I'll probably post graphic comparison pics a little later.

Well my PhysX was already disabled, so it didn't boost my performance. :P

I tried disable the SetPhysx and it worked! But I didn't get much result from the other stuff. I have a question. My game runs perfect when playing normally. But when I record the game the frame rate drops by 10-20 FPS. Any ways to prevent that from happening? I messed around a little in the Nvidia control panel, but I'm not sure what I'm doing :P

I tried disable the SetPhysx and it worked! But I didn't get much result from the other stuff. I have a question. My game runs perfect when playing normally. But when I record the game the frame rate drops by 10-20 FPS. Any ways to prevent that from happening? I messed around a little in the Nvidia control panel, but I'm not sure what I'm doing :P

What do you use to record?

This did improve my performance a considerable amount.

Thanks for taking the time to write this!

No problem. Glad I could help. :)

To be honest I thought no one would really care about this post.

Guest pmadden94
To be honest I thought no one would really care about this post.

I think this will be very helpful to many, many people. Just wait and see, it will attract more attention in the coming week

To be honest I just had a small hunch about the PhysX.

The slight graphics I found out by noticing the the options that were available but in particular the "Override any application setting"

Oh and now I'm looking for a way to increase the resolution. I have already found the file I need to modify but am going to test this out before I post anything.

To be honest I just had a small hunch about the PhysX.

The slight graphics I found out by noticing the the options that were available but in particular the "Override any application setting"

Oh and now I'm looking for a way to increase the resolution. I have already found the file I need to modify but am going to test this out before I post anything.

You can edit the em4.cfg (or em4deluxe.cfg) config file to change the resolution to anything you want.

Thanks I'm just experimenting with higher resolutions.

Edit: I successfully got the game working full screen on my 1920 by 1200 monitor.

I only need to make a few adjustments to the camera.

I'll be making a tutorial soon that will show you how to increase your resolution if it is not supported by the game.

post-11006-1265834584_thumb.jpg

Here's the nice comparison I promised.

The left side is with the slight fix while the right side is just standard.

BTW Good job on the Audi Hoppah

NOTE:This image is slightly distorted. You may be able to see the difference or you may not. I higher quality one will be re-posted.

Like I said it's a slight difference.

It will be more noticeable on higher resolutions which I will be making a tutorial for soon.

I don't see a difference either, but that might be caused by the jpg compression. Unfortunately, there is some distortion in your picture. If you used Fraps to take the screens, make sure to choose .png or .bmp for the screenshots. They have less distortion and that is better for a comparision like this. :)