pyrothijs

Modding FAQ [work in progress]

This FAQ is meant to give an answer about questions relating to modding (adjusting the game to your own liking).

The contents of this FAQ:

*Creating a new mod

-I want to create a new mod, but I do not have any skills.

-What skills should I be able to do when I want to create a new mod?

-What programs do I need to use to create a new mod?

-How do I create a new mod?

-Can I use (parts of) other mods in my new mod?

*Adjusting the game files

*Creating vehicles

-Exporting models from sketchup to Z-modeler

-Exporting models from Z-modeler

*(Re)Skinning vehicles

*Putting units in game

*Scripting

© 2008-2010 www.emergency-planet.com and related sites.

Nothing from this FAQ may be cited, reproduced or distributed in any way by other sites (except www.emergency-planet.com and related sites) without written permission of the author and www.emergency-planet.com.

Creating a new mod

I want to create a new mod, but I do not have any skills.

When you want to create a new mod, but you do not poses any skills there isn't much use in asking someone to make the mod for you. Making mods is a very time consuming proces, you will probably not find someone to help you if you cannot participate in the mod. So you will have to learn some modding skills. There are some relatively easy basic modding skills you should try to master before starting a mod.

We have several tutorials and these FAQ's to help you master those skills. Of course you can also use the search function or ask questions on this forum if you need more help.

What skills should I be able to do when I want to create a new mod?

MikeyPI made a FAQ with the most important skills you need to start a new mod. Please read his FAQ carefully if you want to start a new mod. If you feel you do not have sufficient knowledge of some skills, you can follow one of the tutorials or search the forum or the web for beginners manuals.

What programs do I need to use to create a new mod?

MikeyPI made a FAQ with the most important programs you need to start a new mod. Please read his FAQ carefully if you want to start a new mod. The FAQ lists the download locations of many of the programs you need. If you feel you do not have sufficient knowledge of some prorams, you can follow one of the tutorials or search the forum or the web for beginners manuals. Usually the websites offering the programs also have a short beginners manual to help you get started.

How do I create a new mod?

Starting a new mod is relatively easy.

Can I use (parts of) other mods in my new mod?

(Parts of) Other mods are considered copyrighted by the creator of that mod. You will have to ask his permission to use the parts of the other mod in your own mod. Usually they are cool with using scripts as long as you credit them as the creator of the model in a read me you must add to the mod. Using one or two models that were made by somebody else usually isn't a big problem as well as long as you credit the creators of that model and asked for their permission. Usually it isn't allowed to reskin the models made by other people and present that as your own mod. That isn't considered modding, but just stealing other peoples models and pretend you created them by putting another paint scheme on them. You will probably not get permission to release reskinned models only.

Some mods have published their own copyright clause, like the LA MOD for example. You can check that clause to see if you are or aren't allowed to use parts of that mod in your own mod.

Creating vehicles

How do I export the models I made in Sketchup (.skp) to Z-modeler to create a workable 3D format (.v3o)

First of all you need the paid version of Z-modeler to be able to do this succesfully. If you do not have the paid version of Z-modeler you need to look for someone who has the paid version and is willing to do this for you.

1: Start sketchup and load the model you want to export.

2: Export the model as a .3ds model.

3: Start up Z-modeler and import the .3ds model you just exported.

4: Export that model as a .v30 model. Make sure the name of the exported model is the same as the model name in the scene nodes browser

With thnx to Ami89E1234

-Exporting models from Z-modeler